The Navy Cafe | Navy Forum  

Left Nav Register FAQ FAQ Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   The Navy Cafe | Navy Forum > Heading to the Navy or at Boot Camp > Thinking About Joining or on DEP?

Thinking About Joining or on DEP? Thinking about the Navy? Already decided and now you are a "DEP'er"?

Old 02-09-2011, 06:08 PM   #1
Shipe
169/2011 Ship 5

My Photos---> View Shipe's Photo Album
Send a message via AIM to Shipe Send a message via Yahoo to Shipe
Navy Federal or USAA?

simple question. pros and cons of Navy Federal vs. USAA vs. any other military banking. just curious as to wear I should put my money.

Seperation date: 20110423
shipdate: 20110316
rate: NF

Shipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 06:52 PM   #2
YoniHarari

Duty: DEPPER
My Photos---> View YoniHarari's Photo Album
Funny you ask this bc I was just wondering the same thing! My friend was telling me how he gets some crazy deals through USAA (like 2 cars FULL coverage and renters insurance plus all his wife's jewelry for $165/mth!). But my other friend was telling me that she has navy fed and that she loves the rates and all.
YoniHarari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 07:21 PM   #3
KYmom

PIR Date: Sept 14 2007
Div/Ship: Division 311 Ship 11
School: Keesler AFB, Biloxi MI Feb 07
Duty: Norfolk SGOT - Civilian as of 2011
My Photos---> View KYmom's Photo Album
Send a message via AIM to KYmom
USAA is the Insurance Company that most military use for there insurance. Can't bet their rates for the young ones.

Navy Fed for banking and such, but the loan rates are better that some places but can be beat at other credit unions if you check around.
Depending upon your credit rating.

USS Forrest Sherman
Deployment Jan 2010 - August 2010
USS Theodore Roosevelt April 2008- May 2009
Deployment Sept 08- April 09
A- School Keesler AFB 1-23-08 Biloxi Mississippi
Aerographers mate
PIR 9/14/07
KYmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 10:32 PM   #4
VaBchMom

PIR Date: 1-4-08
Div/Ship: 040/Ship 13
School: A-School & C-School; Keesler AFB, MS
Duty: San Diego
My Photos---> View VaBchMom's Photo Album
I just think it's easier to deal with NFCU as they have branches all over the place. Heck, there are at least 4 branches within just a couple of minutes of my house. Insurance-wise Michael stuck with State Farm (we've been with them for years) and not USAA. We've done a couple of loans with NFCU and it beats the rates from one of the other credit unions that we bank with by quite a bit.

Last edited by VaBchMom; 02-09-2011 at 10:36 PM..
VaBchMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 06:24 AM   #5
KYmom

PIR Date: Sept 14 2007
Div/Ship: Division 311 Ship 11
School: Keesler AFB, Biloxi MI Feb 07
Duty: Norfolk SGOT - Civilian as of 2011
My Photos---> View KYmom's Photo Album
Send a message via AIM to KYmom
When Brian got his truck, our credit union (KY Auto Truck) beat Navy Fed by about 3 points cheaper than Navy Fed. But Navy Fed was better than the rest of the alternatives. We looked at 7-8 different loan companies. His rate ended up being 6% for his new truck and first loan. LOL.. Several companies wouldn't touch him because of no credit history.

USS Forrest Sherman
Deployment Jan 2010 - August 2010
USS Theodore Roosevelt April 2008- May 2009
Deployment Sept 08- April 09
A- School Keesler AFB 1-23-08 Biloxi Mississippi
Aerographers mate
PIR 9/14/07
KYmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 07:57 AM   #6
VaBchMom

The lesson from this is that you need to check around and find the best rates that you possibly can and not just go with the first place you stop at.

Last edited by VaBchMom; 02-10-2011 at 04:26 PM..
Old 02-11-2011, 05:07 PM   #7
Seth
MA3

School: NTTC Lackland AFB
Duty: Naval Base Guam
My Photos---> View Seth's Photo Album
Send a message via AIM to Seth
Awards Showcase
US Navy: US Navy Seal, this is for active and retired NAvy Sailors to post so we know who they are. - Issue reason: I am active duty USN as a MA. I am stationed at NSB NLon 
Total Awards: 1
Navy Fed has no down falls anymore in my opinion. USAA used to get paid a day earlier, but now Navy Fed gets paid the same day.
Seth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 08:47 PM   #8
Senior Sparky

PIR Date: Nov. 1993
Div/Ship: I149
School: EM 'A'
My Photos---> View Senior Sparky's Photo Album
Awards Showcase
US Navy: US Navy Seal, this is for active and retired NAvy Sailors to post so we know who they are. - Issue reason: Active Navy 
For banking I have accounts with both USAA and Navy Fed, no complaints with either. (have had NFCU since I was a young FN in the Navy) With my new vehicle I just bought, went on line filled out the app, called and verified it was me and had the electronic check in seconds. The rate with USAA was just as good if not better than the others.

Insurance wise, USAA is top notch. Full coverage on two cars, 75K in renters insurance and valuable stuff for the wifey's jewlery is only like $140 a month. Got my renters policy on May 1, 2010 it took affect at 0001 May 2nd. Well May 1st the base flooded, some 1,000 year flood crap the engineer's say, but we were not totally washed out at our home like some of our friends. USAA had adjusters on site by the 3rd, I was wondering if I would be covered or not since my policy didn't start unti the 2nd. They looked my info up and said yep, you are good to go here is what we need from you.... So I really can't complain about the way they do business.
Senior Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 10:09 PM   #9
Retired Navy Chief
Super Moderator

Div/Ship: SIMA Long Beach, ARS-39, AR-8, NRS Springfield Mo, LSD-39, NAS Key West, NSWU-2 Stuttgart Germany

Duty: Stationed on the USS Backyard !!
My Photos---> View Retired Navy Chief's Photo Album
Awards Showcase
US Navy: US Navy Seal, this is for active and retired NAvy Sailors to post so we know who they are. - Issue reason: Retired Navy 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipe View Post
..... just curious as to wear I should put my money.
Here .... let me give you my direct deposit accounting info. It'll be put to good use, I promise !!

I've always heard great things about Navy Federal. My wife always preferred a civilian bank for her own preferrence .. so no first hand info. Only what I heard from my sailors.

Cheers,
PISTOL

Your focus must always be on the outcome and NEVER the situation. No matter how difficult things may be... the pain and hardship are irrelevant to the ultimate goal. Your goal is to become a part of an elite team. Nothing else matters! No pain, or hardship matters. They can run you, starve you, beat you, and kill you. ....but they can never make you quit.
Retired Navy Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 10:58 PM   #10
Shipe
169/2011 Ship 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired Navy Chief View Post
Here .... let me give you my direct deposit accounting info. It'll be put to good use, I promise !!

I've always heard great things about Navy Federal. My wife always preferred a civilian bank for her own preferrence .. so no first hand info. Only what I heard from my sailors.

Cheers,
PISTOL
Ha. Sure give me your account info. Just don't be surprised to find a negative balance tomorrow morning.

Everyone: Thanks for the answers. I'll just decide when I get to RTC. My recruiter tells me they'll tell me about both when I get there.

Old 02-16-2011, 08:10 AM   #11
VaBchMom

Michael was set up with Navy Fed well before he got to RTC. He was glad he'd taken care of it earlier.

The best kind of friend is the kind you can sit on a porch swing with, never say a word, and then walk away feeling like it was the best conversation you've ever had.
Old 02-16-2011, 01:31 PM   #12
Shipe
169/2011 Ship 5

ah well I'll see what I can do with that but I think I'll just wait until I get to boot before I set anything up.

Old 02-16-2011, 02:49 PM   #13
Shipe
169/2011 Ship 5

well I said screw it and I set up and account with Navy Federal with an Active Duty Checking account. I know its kind of early but at least I'm prepared.

Old 02-16-2011, 05:05 PM   #14
VaBchMom

You did do the right thing by taking care of it now. I know when Michael was heading out he did say that he was so glad he'd already done that before getting to BC - not like most of the other recruits who had to do it in rush mode. You really will be glad you took care of it early, trust me.

The best kind of friend is the kind you can sit on a porch swing with, never say a word, and then walk away feeling like it was the best conversation you've ever had.
Old 02-18-2011, 08:40 AM   #15
Shipe
169/2011 Ship 5

well...Navy Federal told me I'm not eligible to join so I have to fax them a copy of my contract...haha

Old 07-25-2012, 08:04 AM   #16
VaBchMom

Navy Fed is where most people open up an account but you aren't required to open one with them. He opened his checking account before he left for RTC since we have A LOT of branches around here VB/Norfolk). It made it a lot easier very early on in getting things taken care of before leaving for RTC.

Last edited by VaBchMom; 07-25-2012 at 08:12 AM..